Solar Voyager : Public Announcements

Posted in Public Announcements
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  space4man

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2014-November-03 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote space4man

FYI, The National Space Society's Enterprise in Space project has an Orbiter Design Contest. The contest is free to enter and the spacecraft being designed is to carry student experiments to space.

You can get some background on the contest either by reading my blog post on artsnova.com:  Enterprise in Space Orbiter Design Contest at Artsnova

or in a different post on the National Space Society web site:
NSS Enterprise in Space Orbiter Design Contest

I hope some folks from this community take the opportunity to enter.

View space4man's Profile Search for other posts by space4man Visit space4man's Homepage

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2014-November-08 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Hi space4man

Does this competiton need you to make new ships because I have some fantastic models already and would be interested in this competiton if thats ok I am 31 so is that too old?

Regards

Karl

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2014-November-09 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

Karl:  Yes, you can enter:
"Can anyone enter?
Yes, but not me or other folks associated with the project. Oh you do have to be at least 18."

As for reusing your older designs, they plan to actually orbit this thing, and then reenter and recover it:

"Once manufactured, your orbiter will physically have as its maximum dimensions a length no longer than 8 feet, a width no wider than 8 feet, and a height no taller than 6 feet. So in creating your design, be mindful of the factors 8 by 8 by 6."

View nkalanaga's Profile Search for other posts by nkalanaga

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2014-November-10 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks nkalanaga

They actually plan to launch it. Sounds complicated and it has to be no longer than 8 feet and no wider than 8 feet and no taller than 6 feet. Sounds like the smallest space craft I have ever heard of still it is do
able. better get started.

space4man

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2014-November-20 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote space4man

Hi everyone,
Sorry about the delay in responding here but I've had back to back weekends of conventions and am still way behind.

Karl - you asked about it being new ships. No you don't have to create a new ship for the contest. However, do bear in mind the "box" within which you are working: 8x8x6. These are launch constraints. Also note that part of the judging is going to be based on the engineering firm's ability to take that design and turn it into a usable "satellite."  After all, it will be home to some 100 student experiments. 

Size limitations are based on the craft being launched as a secondary payload aboard a Falcon. (No not Millennium but SpaceX).

And no one is too old to enter. Also it is a global competition. The only rule is that the person entering must be 18 or older (it's a legal thing).

Good luck to everyone who enters.

View space4man's Profile Search for other posts by space4man Visit space4man's Homepage

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2014-November-21 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Hi space4man

I hope I won't disappoint you  I will give you something very different

space4man

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2014-November-21 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote space4man

Hi Karl,

Something different would be cool. Note that the idea behind having a design contest was to get people (non-aerospace engineers)  thinking about spaceship design. The idea is that this is to be an educational/outreach project from beginning to end. 

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2014-November-22 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Hi Jim

The Engines for this rocket may look complicated but its just for effect I personally believe if anyone wants to be good they need a good design and I wanted the engines to have a wow factor but they would not be as complicated as the look(similar to airfix kits). I will Show you Knight Cruiser once I have finished I have named him after one of the best men I have ever known.

Regards
Karl

<< Prev Topic Public Announcements Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version