Solar Voyager : Works In Progress

Posted in Works In Progress
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Shrubz

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2013-March-27 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Shrubz

Hey Pogona, in response to your question about the lighting, there are a few things you can do to help with establishing distance.

This all depends on where your light source is.

From what I can tell for your specific picture; you can make the side of the left nebula which is facing the viewer a darker shade.

Make sure the edge of the left nebula, where it contacts (overlaps) the pixels of the nebula to the right, has a significant contrast to the light level of the nebula to the right (the nebula to the right having a lighter tone than the left nebula). This will help create the desired look of the nebula to the right being further behind the left nebula.

As for the top nebula, you can take a look at Earth : )

When looking at a mountain, as the distance between the viewer and the mountain increases; so does the volume of atmosphere between the viewer and the mountain. This filters out the color of the mountain with that of the atmosphere.

For your picture, I would try painting a layer or two of your primary background color covering the top nebula. Mess with the layer blend modes a bit, or just lower the opacity to make it look further back. I would suggest trying both out to see which you like the best.

Finally, you can look to composition; dominating horizontal lines create a feeling of vastness/large scale. You could try and rework your composition to include this feature if you choose. I, however, feel that this isn't the purpose of your picture as I see it in its current stage. Viewing it makes me feel more up close and personal to the content of the clouds, not their scale or vastness.

Hope this helps : )

100th Post!

View Shrubz's Profile Search for other posts by Shrubz

Shrubz

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2013-March-27 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Shrubz

So I was fiddling around with the latest update of your picture. The purpose was originally going to be to help you with some example lighting, but i went a little further : )

This should still help you, I hope, and if you're interested I could keep going; you and me could do a collab version together :D

I've never actually done a collaboration peice before and I think it would be a fun experience!

Full Wallpaper View: 789x647

View Shrubz's Profile Search for other posts by Shrubz

pogona

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2013-March-27 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote pogona

that looks awesome 

you really give it a 3d effect.

I haven't done a collab before either but it could be nice, I will send you a pm .
View pogona's Profile Search for other posts by pogona

<< Prev Topic Works In Progress Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version