Rockets are they redunant and too costly?
Solar Voyager : General Discussion

Posted in General Discussion
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  TeranAmbassador33

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2012-June-10 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote TeranAmbassador33

It's not a matter of the balloon being airtight. At some point , there simply is not going to be any air for the balloon to be less dense than. It's not going to to explode either. Weather balloons go up there regularly, and they don't explode.

Any balloon capable of hoisting a rocket capable of leaving the atmosphere would simply be too large to use. Rockets weigh tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of kilograms/pounds.

You would somewhere around 303 cubic kilometers of helium to lift a Falcon 9 rocket, for example.

A balloon just would not work.

My blog, check it out:
http://artist-of-the-aether.blogspot.com/
View TeranAmbassador33's Profile Search for other posts by TeranAmbassador33 Visit TeranAmbassador33's Homepage

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2012-June-11 at 4:27am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Hi TeranAmbassador33

You are 100% Right ******** The Balloon Exploded Because it was not an Material Balloon Damn I am an idiot Why did I not think of that earlier There are alarm going off in my head saying ("You are the Biggest idiot on the Planet Research before you comment you moron") It seems I owe you an Apology Sorry. Here is the Footage I was telling you About On James Mays Man Lab The Balloon although filled with Hydrogen exploded because it was an ordinary Balloon. Here is the link

James Mays Man Lab Hot Hydrogen Balloon

Sorry for doubting and arguing about it with you I should have checked Before.

Karl

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2012-June-14 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

There's a white paper somewhere on the web titled "The Balloon Assisted Launch System - A Heavy Lift Balloon" by Debora Grant and James Rand. I haven't been able to see more than the first page, but it looks interesting. Also take a look here and here. The biggest difference I see is that these guys are talking mostly about microsatellites and other tiny payloads, which you could launch with much smaller rockets from a balloon. 

But this idea has been around for a long time actually, in the 50's people were doing this and getting it to work (not very accurately ) Check out the Rockoon, the navy came up with them during the early Cold War.

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2012-June-15 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks regulus

That looks really cool I hope they manage to do it one day. I am surprised thought that a normal hydrogen filled balloon got so high and the same goes for the helium balloon(it didn't get as high).

aimeusdietger

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2017-June-30 at 4:05am | IP Logged Quote aimeusdietger

As costly as they are, they are still necessary and still the most viable option for launching space ships and robots to view life in outer space. It will take a while before a cheaper option is created because gravity is a real pain.
View aimeusdietger's Profile Search for other posts by aimeusdietger

<< Prev Topic General Discussion Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version