Solar Voyager : Space Art Gallery - Members

Posted in Space Art Gallery - Members
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Areoseph

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2012-February-18 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Areoseph

Hi Everyone!  It's been so long since I've done any space-art, between school and the military, I hardly have any time at all.  I've been able to check on here every once and a while and the art here never ceases to inspire and wow me.  So, I finally buckled down and just finished something that I thought I'd share here.  Unfortunately I cannot get anything to upload (gives me an odd error right at 99%), either in Chrome or IE, so I'm just going to leave a linked thumbnail and a link to the full-size (to simulate what it looks like normally haha) if that's ok!

The piece is called "The King's Shadow"

LINK--( http://www.deviantart.com/download/285780345/the_king__s_sha dow_by_areoseph-d4q59ix.png),

"The King's Shadow" is a follow-up piece to something I made last year called "Bound by the King" ( http://www.deviantart.com/download/201554185/bound_by_the_ki ng_by_areoseph-d3c007d.png) , so hopefully they go together well....

For 'King's Shadow' I wanted to explore what life would be like on a moon of the gas giant, Creon, that it orbits.  I really wanted to paint a rich jungle environment and foggy mist using my basic brushes, so I just went for it.  It's just a straight paint job in Photoshop.  I didn't get too hung up on the plausibility of the science, for instance, whether or not a lush habitable moon could exist so close to a gas giant.  Instead, I just went with my imagination because, who knows what's out there?  For the planet and moons in the background, I painted them in a separate document at around 4k x 4k px each and then formatted them for the main painting.

Once again, sorry for the links, and thanks for checking it out, you guys are the best.

Areo

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2012-February-18 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

Based on current theories there's no reason such a moon couldn't exist.  We've already found jovians in the habitable zones of several stars, and simulations show that Earth-sized objects can be captured by jovians as they migrate through the inner system.   An Earth-sized rock/metal moon should have a magnetic field, which would protect it from any jovian radiation belts, so there's no reason it couldn't have "life as we know it".  Looks like a nice place for a colony, at least from a distance.

N Kalanaga
View nkalanaga's Profile Search for other posts by nkalanaga

Areoseph

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2012-February-19 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote Areoseph

Great point!  I wasn't ruling it out at all, I just wasn't sure that a gas giant, with a strong magnetic field so close to a moon would be habitable.  Not to mention the tidal forces on the moon's crust.  Your point has good reasoning though, I hadn't thought that the moon could have a solid magnetic field capable of shielding itself.  If I was going to find a way to make it "work", I would have thought that the gas giant's density was low enough to a point where its magnetic field and radiation weren't unbearably large.  However, I don't know how feasible that is either.  Thanks for your thoughts and for trying to save my little moon!  

Milay

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2012-February-19 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote Milay

Awesome picture like that giant in background and building on top of that hill and ships are great too

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2012-February-19 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

I agree You are an Awesome Painter I think it is beautifully done.
Well done

Karl

Areoseph

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2012-February-19 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Areoseph

Milay, I'm glad you like those details!

Karl, Thanks for your kind words.

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2012-February-19 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

Another solution to jovian radiation belts may be massive rings.  Saturn has very little trapped radiation, even though it has a relatively strong magnetic field.  The theory is that trapped particles are absorbed by the material in the rings, leaving the moons in a relatively benign environment.

On the other hand, Saturn's rings wouldn't survive at our distance from the Sun, as they're mostly ice, so that probably won't produce human-habitable moons.

I agree with you that art doesn't have to be plausible, but, to me, it's even better when it is.  Not being an artist myself, I tend to look at the pretty pictures, and try to figure out the science behind them.  Quite often even the apparently implausible pictures can be fit into current theories with a little work.  Yours was easy!

As for the tidal effects on the moon's core, if anything, they should strengthen its magnetic field.  As long as the moon isn't as active as Io they probably won't matter to the life.  If the moon is tidally locked, and at its apparent distance it should be, crustal tides from Creon would be mostly a stationary bulge, with the solar ocean tides visible on top of that.  Neighboring massive moons could add complexity to the ocean tides, but probably won't affect the crust much.

N Kalanaga

Areoseph

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2012-February-20 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Areoseph

Nkalanaga,

You have some serious thoughts!  I appreciate your insight into my piece, it makes me feel good to know it's not totally off the wall.  Thanks!

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2012-February-20 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

One of my hobbies is "theoretical planetology", or, "designing imaginary solar systems".  No specific training in astronomy, but I read a lot about such stuff.  So, whenever I see a realistic picture of an alien world, my first thought is "what is the system like and how did it get that way". 

On the other hand, I couldn't make a decent picture of a planet if I had to!  The main reason I started visiting Solar Voyager was simply to look at the art.  Unless the artist seems to be trying for realism, I seldom comment, as Art, like Beauty, is in the eye of the Beholder.  If the artist is satisfied, who am I to criticize it?  In this case, you seemed to be trying for realism, although you said it wasn't your primary consideration.  From my viewpoint you did a very good job.

N Kalanaga

Eskhata

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2012-February-22 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Eskhata

WoW! This looks really good. I love everything on this piece. The composition is great the colors are nice too, but the ships on the left are my favorite, they look awesome!
Damn Great Work!

Its time to leave our god behind and make our own paradise!
View Eskhata's Profile Search for other posts by Eskhata

<< Prev Topic Space Art Gallery - Members Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version