Vintage Mercury Capsule drawing mystery
Solar Voyager : Inks, Oils, Watercolor, Acrylics and more...

Posted in Inks, Oils, Watercolor, Acrylics and more...
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Ordog

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2012-February-12 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Ordog

Hi!

I was at the right place at the right time, and got to purchase some amazing artwork by Herbert Hahn, the US Navy Korean War era artist. Most of his stuff was military or landscapes or people.... and the museums had already gotten most of that when he died in the 70's. The estate sale I was at was that of his close friend and companion... and the museums had already been there, in person, to get everything, but the family overlooked some items that were of a personal nature, like some preliminary sketches (is that what they call it when an artists does a pencil sketch of the artwork with measurements to get the lay of things?) and preliminary charcoal  drawings of paintings he did. Not just any ones, but ones that had sentimental value.

I also have a good memory, kinda. I recall seeing this somewhere - maybe a pulp magazine cover, or paperback cover, or even a stamp design suggestion (an 'essay' - I wrote about those a long time ago) for the Mercury Capsule stamp of 1960. I just can't recall where.

I'd kinda like to figure out what this is.. everything else I got I figured out why it was significant to him, but not this. Sorry, it is not for sale.

Any help would be appreciated!

I guess I can't post a URL or picture b/c I am new... hmmmm

ozarkantiquarian .   com   /       mercurycapsule.jpg

Full Wallpaper View: 634x786
View Ordog's Profile Search for other posts by Ordog

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2012-February-12 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

I'm not an artist, and don't have any original works to upload, so haven't tried to do so.  But I'll try to help...

On the "Post Reply" box, there are two rows of icons at the top, along with the "--Font Type--" and "--Font Size--" boxes.  On the far right of the lower row is a yellow rectangle with some gray triangles in the bottom.  Putting the cursor on it shows "Add Image".  Clicking it brings up a box asking for the address of the image.  I would guess that's where the upload function is.

On the other hand, I've seen members complain that their browser won't let them upload, or that the forum won't accept uploads from certain browsers.  Good luck, and I'd love to see the picture.

N Kalanaga
View nkalanaga's Profile Search for other posts by nkalanaga

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2012-February-14 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Hi Ordog, I updated your post to include the image (I was able to upload the image fine after I downloaded it from your site) What browser are you using? People sometimes experience problems using Chrome or IE, so we usually recommend Firefox to view the site, as it seems to work best.

Unfortunately I can't help you with your picture, it's completely new to me ... but it's pretty darn cool nonetheless Do you have any idea when it was done?

Ordog

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2012-February-15 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Ordog

Thx for the help.. it wouldn't let me post b/c I was a new member it said.

It was part of something... was with something else that would probably explain much, however the museum took it and from what I understand they sat this down and forgot it. There was a large scrapbook that had notes and all, and for inexplicable reasons items were removed from it, instead of it being kept intact.

This was really kinda an oddball item for him to be doing... the time frame is probably late 50's or early 60's, but who can say for sure.
View Ordog's Profile Search for other posts by Ordog

<< Prev Topic Inks, Oils, Watercolor, Acrylics and more... Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version