Solar Voyager : Works In Progress

Posted in Works In Progress
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  EchoStryk

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2012-February-03 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote EchoStryk

A WIP of the current picture im working on... of course a small section of it because the picture is Gigantuen but whatever.

Full Wallpaper View: 2927x1709
I know that the ship.. and well everything looks like poop right now, but i just want a base for the whole picture. Im also testing to see if i can even make a good looking ship in photoshop, unfortunately the ship is basically just a box right now, and also very speed painty... but i'll fix it eventually haha XP

If you have any thought of how i can make this look less like crap PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know haha.

View EchoStryk's Profile Search for other posts by EchoStryk

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2012-February-04 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Biggest thing I think: learn  how masks work (if you already know and are just keeping it simple at this point, you can ignore all this ) For this type of thing, they will be infinitely helpful. You can use the selection tool (any one of them, the lasso, the poly lasso, the rectangular box, they'll all work for different situations) On a new layer, fill the new selection with black. Now control+click on the layer icon to select the outline of that layer. Then click on the button on the bottom of the layer palette, it looks like a circle inside a square. This will block from view a portion of the image, and tada you've got a mask on your layer. I'd use this way to make the outlines and shapes of all the stuff on the top of the ship.

I like masks because they let you get perfectly sharp edges, and you can paint right up to (and over) the edge without worrying about it. But also you can use masks with soft edges to get layer blends and other effects. You can also paint right on the mask itself, with shades of gray corresponding to how much of the underneath layer shows through..... ok that's my mini lesson on masks They're something I wish I had learned much earlier, would have made life a lot easier.

EchoStryk

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2012-February-04 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote EchoStryk

Well I knew OF them... but not really how they worked haha. so thanks! I'll giver a go!
View EchoStryk's Profile Search for other posts by EchoStryk

Shrubz

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2012-February-05 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Shrubz

Thanks for a mini lesson Regulus. I have ever only used masks to make sharper edges on nebulas, but i kind of want to make a ship or something nifty like that now.
View Shrubz's Profile Search for other posts by Shrubz

<< Prev Topic Works In Progress Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version