Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-27 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks Guys

Milay

Yeah that is a lot of Grouped objects I think my other ship which is available for download is even more (is a whopping 1311 Groups and 781958 Polygons) But Babbage is the Better ship. Computer History is a weird one there are so many things credited as the first computer but in my mind it had to work and do a specific task that makes things easier (The Clock could of been the first computer if people really think it did a good job of keeping track of the time.)

Thanks  again

Karl

nkalanga

Wow You really know your stuff it sounds like you a programmer and a fantastic one at that this may sound strange but Binary isn't the hardest language you can program anymore there is one called Malbolge and it is a nightmare to understand. Your like my Mate (who I call the Binary Genius of Sudbury) I see your point about my engines may break when working in space but they are not entirely mechanical There convert gas into different elements and send them to the indifference engine to create anti matter for an controlled big bang.
The effect I was going for was to make them look as much like Babbages Engines but with some alterations.

Thank you for the information

Karl

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2011-December-27 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Nicely done Karl, great work!

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2011-December-27 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

I have an Associate Degree in programming, but have never used it professionally, and doubt that I could do much today.  Cobol and Fortran were the big languages back then, and most of today's hadn't been invented.  The only programming I've done in the last 30 years was in Basic...which is very much like Assembler, the human-readable version of machine language. 

Basically I read a lot, about just about anything science or technology related, so have accumulated a brain full of (mostly useless) trivia.  That, in turn, ferments until the various items combine in unpredictable ways, and out pops another idea, mostly also useless!

The worst language I've seen, and I've only seen it in a novel, was APL.  It is a real language, and is/was used, but I've never read anything by anyone who'd used it.  One description of it was that it "can express a whole series of complex mathematical operations in a single line of code simply, unambiguously, and logically - if your computer can display hieroglyphics and if you never have to remember what you did."  If you have the Windows font "Wingdings" type a line at random and it will look like APL!

I thought you were using Babbage's designs for the computers as well, and that was what my comments were aimed at.  As for making antimatter on the spot, I have no idea how to do that, and as far as I know, have never read a paper on whether it's theoretically possible or not.  Anytjing you want to use there has as good a chance of working as anything else...

N Kalanaga
View nkalanaga's Profile Search for other posts by nkalanaga

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-28 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks Regulus and nkalanaga

The idea for an antimatter converter came to me when I was young Babbages Engines are powered by the indifference engine and the indifference engine is a mixer in a way it uses different elements and sparks a negative charge to create anti matter and then it causes a controlled explosion making the ship travel faster. The Hms Babbage also has two types of energy panels 1 solar 1 is simply starlight and solar radiation(even if they are light years away Babbage uses this to charge when not near a star or other type of energy). This type of ship will probably never be made due to the enormous amounts of uncertainties as you said converting elements to make anti matter is theoretical (at the moment) and even then it may be a risk to take because if the explosion is not controlled the whole ship would be destroyed and a lot of the planet it was made on. The antimatter would be a scaled up version of what they use in Hospitals for MRI scans.

The Computers that control the Babbages engines are similar to the space shuttle but it is controlled by an Operating Personality who is named Ada.

Thanks for the Kind comments and interesting information

Karl

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2011-December-29 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

The explosion risk wouldn't have to be that high.  If one can make antimatter on demand, it could be made at the engine, just before "injection".  There wouldn't be any stored antimatter, so the worst case would be that the engine explodes.  Even that would be unlikely, as the first response to any instability would be to turn the converter off, which would eliminate the source of the antimatter.  The drive would also stop, but once the problem was fixed, it would be a simple matter to restart it.

If one could make antimatter, it would actually be a very safe ship, as one would likely make it from hydrogen, and that's easy to store and handle.  The reaction would use hydrogen and antihydrogen, and all you'd have to carry would be a tank of liquid hydrogen. 

One way to do it would be to combine the proton and electron into a neutron, "flip" the neutron to an antineutron, and let (or force) it to decay to an antiproton and a positron.  How you'd "flip" the neutron is an open question, but the rest is (relatively) easy. 

N Kalanaga

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-29 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks for the Info

You really know your stuff I used to have a friend at school and his Dad was an actual Rocket Scientist But I never really talked to him.

Have a great new Year

Karl

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2011-December-29 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

Now you making me blush!  There are probably people here who know more about almost anything than I do, they just don't talk as much...

Part of my "secret", which isn't a secret at all, is that I don't "know" as much as I seem to.  I try to know at least a little about any subject, and where to find more information.  Especially with the Internet, although it also worked with books, being able to find information quickly is probably one of the most important skills someone can learn. 

I do remember a lot, mostly on subjects I enjoy, but even that comes at least partly from looking up any new ideas I come across.  One can learn a lot from science fiction, even with bad science, if one uses it as a research guide to find the real information. 

Libraries, paper or digital, are humanity's "racial memory", and if one can use them without getting lost in the misinformation, one can "know" almost anything.  Personally, I think schools should be spending more time teaching research skills, especially sifting through online search results.  I was lucky, in the 60s and early 70s, to have quite a few teachers who encouraged asking questions and drawing ones own conclusions.

My favorite teach was Mrs. Essinger, 4th grade, who let me sit in the back of the class and read encyclopedias most of the year.  As long as I kept my grades up, and didn't disturb the class, I could read.  And I did, all the way through two sets.  The plots were a little thin, but there were things in there I never did come across in school, and at least I had an "index" for future learning.

OK, enough lecturing for today!  And, yes, I have been accused of talking too much.

N Kalanaga

<< Prev Topic Spacecraft Designs Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version