Posted in Spacecraft Designs
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Hello Everyone at Solar Voyager

Merry Christmas to everyone hope you all have a great christmas. I have been working on this Space Craft since I got this Mac last christmas it is named after one of my Computer idols Charles Babbage. and 2 of his engines power the ship The difference engine no2 (the first Computer with inbuilt printer) and the Analytical Engine (the first computer to work on its own via a steam engine (also known as steam punk in Japan). and The Indifference engine (my own design meant to look similar to the Cern Collider. Hms Babbage is a Solar Graveyard in a way because the ship is decorated with old computer from the past. it can travel at 190,000 Miles an hour in under 5 minutes. The Engines Convert different elements into Anti Matter and matter and collide them together for a controlled Big bang that gives the ship enormous speed and agility.

I am Dedicated this to my Parakeet who died a few weeks ago I miss him terribly.

All Comments Welcome

Karl

Full Wallpaper View: 1760x922

Full Wallpaper View: 1761x922

Eskhata

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Eskhata

Great work! Lots of details, I love it.

Merry Christmas!

Its time to leave our god behind and make our own paradise!
View Eskhata's Profile Search for other posts by Eskhata

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks Eskhata

Glad you like the HMS Babbage
I personally think Blaise Pascal made the first computer (the Mechanical  Calculator) But Babbage was by far my Favorite. I also made a Colossus Computer I was going to add but then it was too complicated).

Merry Christmas

Karl

Milay

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Milay

ORiginal design and detailed as Eskhata wrote
View Milay's Profile Search for other posts by Milay Visit Milay's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

karl, you are continuously getting better and better with Bryce...Dave (BamBam) watch out!  Jan

View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Thanks Jan and Milay

Have a great christmas

Karl

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2011-December-25 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

Wasn't Babbage's design the first programmable computer, rather than just the first mechanical computing device?

I wonder how the world would have changed if he'd been able to get the funding to build it?

N Kalanaga
View nkalanaga's Profile Search for other posts by nkalanaga

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2011-December-26 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Interesting Question nkalanga

and I see where you are coming from but no I don't think it was the first Programmable computer because all the difference engines did was turn from a crank and rotate the numbers. The Analytical engine did the same via a steam engine But Babbage worked with a young girl Named Ada Lovelace (Lord Byrons Daughter) and She had the idea for a programmable computer) Here is a link that will explain it better than I can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Kq85fQLWE

I Believe the Colossus Computer Was the first (the Machine that cracked the enigma code) and The man who made it got no recognition for it (it all went to the mathamatician Alan Turin) His name was Tom Fowler and he constructed it from his own pocket of 1000 (the Post office told him to forget it )But his invention was incredible and it is so complicated I couldn't do it justice in Bryce it was going to be added but it didn't go with the rest of the ship. Charles Babbage Made the Analytical Engine in 1837 and the difference Engine in 1822.

Sorry I have gone on a bit but I love talking Computer Talk (In many ways as much as space)

Thanks for Commmenting

Karl

ps The ship was made in Bryce 6.3 and has a total of
431184 Polygons and 675 Grouped objects

nkalanaga

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2011-December-27 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote nkalanaga

OK, I'd read years ago that the Analytical Engine itself could be programmed by setting levers, similar to the way the first electronic computers were programmed with switches.  Seems that he never got that far.  I had read that the first programmer was Ms. Lovelace, and that she actually wrote programs, but that they were never used.

Incidentally, the first computer I worked on, in 1978, was an ancient Burroughs B55, from around 1960, and it was programmed by pushing the neon lights on the front panel.  The preferred method was to read programs from cards, but it could be programmed, one bit at a time, by finger poking.  It was rumored to be the first computer series, (B200, 300, 500), Borroughs built that didn't have any vacuum tubes.  Thrid National Bank of Ashland bought it new in the early 60s, and processed work for several other local banks.  It was slow, ran one program at a time, and had only about 20K of magnetic core memory, but was almost indestructible.  Even power failures didn't bother it.  The program would die, but the last data was still in memory, and could be recovered, when it came back on.

We had learned about "sense switches" in college, which i had just finished, but the computer there was newer, and the "switches" were read from punch cards or entered by console typewriter.  The B500 had 6 pushbutton switches, numbered 1 through 6, and you physically turned them on and off. 

That was the mainfrome running a multibank processing center.  Talk about starting at the bottom!  Never mind Cobol or Fortran, this thing was programmed in machine language...  The operator output was also in machine language.  If it halted, you read the address and halt number, in binary, from those same neon lights.  We finally got a new computer, a modern (1980) mainframe, a few years later, but all of us operators certainly had a good understanding of what REALLY went on in a computer!

The original Space Shuttle computers used core memory, although a little newer version.  After Challenger's computer was retrieved from the Atlantic much of its memory was still readable. 

Given the radiation problems in space, your mechanical computer might have advantages.  With the current work on nanoscale mechanical systems I wonder if Babbage's design could be miniaturized?

N Kalanaga
View nkalanaga's Profile Search for other posts by nkalanaga

Milay

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2011-December-27 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote Milay

karl you megalomaniac 431184 polybons? and 675 groped objects?? and i think i have a lot of them when i have 40 anyway good detail and good work
PS:  i dont get half of that what  you two wrote but when i improve my english and computer history skill i will get to it
View Milay's Profile Search for other posts by Milay Visit Milay's Homepage

<< Prev Topic Spacecraft Designs Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version