Solar Voyager : Solar Voyager News

Posted in Solar Voyager News
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Administrator

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2011-February-07 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Administrator

I'm happy to announce that Solar Voyager now has an active "Downloads" area!  This section is a place where you can get cool image components, custom brushes for use in Photoshop and other paint programs, and space-related 3D models for use in 3D packages such as 3ds Max.  Download these items and use them in your own space art!

Several files are available now, with more to come.  Solar Voyager members can also contribute new content to this area -- all contributed items must  be your own work and free of any copyright restrictions.  Submitted items are subject to review by Solar Voyager staff.
View Administrator's Profile Search for other posts by Administrator Visit Administrator's Homepage

Chachi

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2011-February-07 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Chachi

!#$@#$%........lol, I just tried to edit an upload and it resubmitted for another approval. Oh well, makes sense. I guess I should really look over the next one before uploading 

View Chachi's Profile Search for other posts by Chachi

Milay

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2011-February-07 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Milay

same mistake here postet two of my fractals have more but dont know if they can be of any use
View Milay's Profile Search for other posts by Milay Visit Milay's Homepage

Chachi

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2011-February-07 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Chachi

Dear admin(s),

For editing an upload, can the original download and post remain and just the changes themselves be pending? This way the original file is still there and the changes are still made at the admin's discretion.

Oh, and have a "delete upload" button for the uploader?

Administrator

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2011-February-07 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Administrator

Yeah, it always wants to have admin approval for any of these changes.  Let me look at the forum code and see if I can avoid that on edits.

Edit: Those changes and the new file have been approved.
View Administrator's Profile Search for other posts by Administrator Visit Administrator's Homepage

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2011-February-08 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

I think this is going to be popular! Ive been browsing it, and there's already 9 things to download  I also think this will get people to be more creative, try out ideas that they might not normally attempt.

I have noticed one thing, not sure if it's an actual "error" or not ... but when you download an image file (any kind not zipped up i think) and go to save it, it will not show the original filename or filetype. It shows up like this and the only option for filetype is "all files":

Full Wallpaper View: 694x252

I know you can just type in a filename with an extension, but it seems like an extra step that could be eliminated to make the process a little easier.

Chachi

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2011-February-08 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Chachi

I just tried to download the files I uploaded and they are all coming back with weird file names.....Doesn't bother ME but I can see that being a pain..

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2011-February-08 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

SV does add some letters and numbers onto the filenames when you upload them, but i think this is different, this is not even giving me the option of saving as a .jpg or any other type of image. It's like the system is unsure what type of files they are in the first place.

Chachi

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2011-February-08 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Chachi

Zipped and rar files have proper extensions but file names changes. Image files are just plain weird..lol

Administrator

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2011-February-08 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Administrator

regulus wrote:
I have noticed one thing, not sure if it's an actual "error" or not ... but when you download an image file (any kind not zipped up i think) and go to save it, it will not show the original filename or filetype. It shows up like this and the only option for filetype is "all files"

I'll take a look at this, but I believe it's caused by the indirection the forum software uses to prevent someone from "hotlinking" the files and accessing them from other websites directly.  This is really bad for us because it can use massive amounts of our bandwidth -- the way the forum software is doing it saves us from this problem.

I'll check it out -- Maybe I can change it because I do have a separate anti-hotlinking mechanism in place.

<< Prev Topic Solar Voyager News Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version