Solar Voyager : Current Events in Space Exploration

Posted in Current Events in Space Exploration
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-December-19 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote regulus

This is just to let everyone who might be interested that there is a total lunar eclipse coming up on the night of Dec 20 (morning of Dec 21) It will be visible to some of eastern Asia, all of North America, and some of western Europe. It is supposed to start at 1:33 AM (EST) or 10:33 PM (PST) and it should be visible for over three hours, so this should be a great time to see an eclipse if the weather is not too bad where you live

It's probably going to rain on me, but I plan on taking my camera out and trying to get some pictures. This is the first time I've tried taking pictures of an eclipse, does anyone have any advice? I'll be using my point and shoot, not a DSLR, but it does have A/S/M controls

More information is available here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20101217/sc_space/amazingspect acletotallunareclipsemondaynight

And more technical info here:

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display .php?pic=total-lunar-eclipse-chart-101207-02.jpg%20&cap

cheatsguy777

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-December-19 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote cheatsguy777

over east-Central U.S it is visible at 3:30 on tuesday morning. the only thing is, weather here will probably not let us see it. still good to know!
View cheatsguy777's Profile Search for other posts by cheatsguy777 Visit cheatsguy777's Homepage

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-December-19 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Yeah, i think i'm going to get rained on pretty hard on Monday night  but i really want to try taking some photos of it

cheatsguy777

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-December-19 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote cheatsguy777

speaking of, I tried to get a shot of the moon less than a degree away from Jupiter, but I couldn't get it, it was way to blurry.
View cheatsguy777's Profile Search for other posts by cheatsguy777 Visit cheatsguy777's Homepage

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-December-19 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Was it a handheld shot? or do you have a tripod - they REALLY help for astrophotography!! Don't know where i would be without one (and mine is a P.O.S. too!)

cheatsguy777

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-December-19 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote cheatsguy777

I had an old tripod my dad found in his closet. the problem was the digital camera. I don't have a good camera for my own, but it costs too much for a high school student with no job Hopefully I can get a good camera eventually.

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-December-20 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Digicams have gone down in price so much, you can probably get a decent deal now on one that's better than mine....my camera was expensive when new, but its around 7 years old now, only 4 megapixel. When you do buy one, look for one with manual controls for things like shutter speed, aperture, F-stop, etc, (usually something like A/S/M mode like mine has) that way it gives you much better control over what you're doing than a simple point-and-shoot.... it might cost a little bit more, but IMO it's worth it  (or even better yet get a DSLR, but they cost an arm and a leg!)

JKelly

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-December-20 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote JKelly

Thanks for sharing this Brian! Hopefully it stops raining here long enough for me to see it.

View JKelly's Profile Search for other posts by JKelly Visit JKelly's Homepage

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-December-21 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Well, it didn't work out as well as i had hoped, the rain let up a little, but the clouds were intermittent all night long. There would be breaks for a couple of minutes and i'd rush to set my camera up..... but before i was ready the clouds would roll back in  Around 12:15 PST we hopped in the car and drove to the beach, and for about five minutes it was completely dry and clear, and absolutely beautiful!! ..... then the "Mordor" clouds came back again.

So i got a few pictures, taken around 15 or twenty minutes after totality i think, they are not very sharp but they do show the red coloring fairly well. These are two of the best (and yeah they're not that great - at least there are two more eclipses coming next year )

Full Wallpaper View: 640x479

Full Wallpaper View: 640x479

So did anyone else see a good show? Or was it raining on you? Did anyone get any pictures?

cheatsguy777

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-December-21 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote cheatsguy777

I got up at 2:30 to look out and see a cloudy sky. oh well, I only have to wait 372 more years to see another lunar eclipse on the winter solstice!

<< Prev Topic Current Events in Space Exploration Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version