Posted in Digital Creations
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  NorthboundFox

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2010-August-31 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote NorthboundFox

Hi everyone,

I was contemplating adding a shadow on a recent image of mine cast by its rings, but I wasn't sure if that would really ever happen. Does anyone know if a planets rings can obstruct light enough to cast a shadow? I did try researching this a bit, but I could not find a valid, reliable statement on the matter. Of all the pictures I've seen of Saturn, I could never make out a shadow, but that doesn't meant their isn't one.

I can understand if it were direct light from a very close star, but what if it were the ambient projection of a simi-distant constellation or nebula?  Would the light be coming from so many different stars that it the rings asteroids wouldn't be able to obstruct it all of it? I feel that the density of the ring's asteroids may play a huge factor, but I am unsure.

Any feedback or thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated

JKelly

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-August-31 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote JKelly

There are some pictures out there that you can see the shadow on saturn from it's rings. In this image, the left is from Voyager and the right is from Cassini. You can clearly see there are shadows. Also, for something a little more artistic, here is a good look at how they work in space art. It's the collab done by myself and regulus. I hope that helps answer your question a little bit. I'm sure someone will jump in here and give you a detailed answer soon enough!

View JKelly's Profile Search for other posts by JKelly Visit JKelly's Homepage

NorthboundFox

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2010-August-31 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote NorthboundFox

Thanks Kelly, that helped a ton!

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-August-31 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

It absolutely happens, i would bet that it depends on the thickness of the rings, size of particles, proximity to the lightsource, and a lot of other variables...so there is a fair amount of artistic license you can use since these details are up to you. One thing i do know is that no nebula is going to cast a shadow on a planet, they are just too dim. In fact if you were sitting in the middle of a nebula, they are so dim, you wouldn't even see it. And if a star is close enough to cause shadows, it's not going to be part of a constellation, it would be that planet's sun, outshining everything else. A binary or multiple system would be possible though, thats when you could get some interesting effects, in this one i used 3 suns to cast shadows on the rings (planet's shadow on rings, but same idea...and yes the 2 dimmer shadows are rather hard to see) What happens, more or less, is that they cancel each other out to some extent, depending on brighness, proximity, etc.

If you were making it in PS you could try copying your rings layer. Use levels, color overlay, or whatever else you wish to make the rings black, then use the perspective transform tool to shape your rings to where the shadows should be (this is not an exact science, you have to basically guess) then control+select the planet layer so you have the planet's outline selected. Inverse select, and then erase the parts of the shadow that are out in space, and now you have 1 shadow. If you want mutliple shadows try copying that layer, moving it up or down to correspond to where the secondary light is coming from, and changing the opacity to something lower (since it's not pure shadow, its lit by the secondary suns)

NorthboundFox

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2010-August-31 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote NorthboundFox

Thanks for the detailed explanation Regulus. I was truly curious about the multiple light sources. I think i need to go to the library and start reading up on this stuff a bit more now

My question has been fully answered.

JKelly

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-August-31 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote JKelly

Glad to help out

View JKelly's Profile Search for other posts by JKelly Visit JKelly's Homepage

<< Prev Topic Digital Creations Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version