Posted in Digital Creations
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  space4man

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2010-May-14 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote space4man

Hi folks,

I've never used Terragen or Vue. In fact the last 3D landscape software I used was Mojoworld 3 - which I think came out 5 years ago and has not been updated since.

So what do folks think of the pros and cons of Terragen 2 vs Vue?

Thanks, Jim

View space4man's Profile Search for other posts by space4man Visit space4man's Homepage

DarinK

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2010-May-14 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote DarinK

I'm not an expert at either software, but IMO Terragen 2 has better quality and realism than Vue 8. For me, Terragen is more difficult to learn than Vue. Vue seems to have a more logical layout and the way everything is set up makes more sense than Terragen. If you could combine the layout and features of Vue with the quality of Terragen that would  be an awesome software. One thing I've learned about both software is there aren't many tutorials available, and if you go to the Terragen forums very little is explained in terms that a beginner can understand. If you have a question they will tell you to do this or do that, but not really go into much detail about what each step does and how it affects the image.  
View DarinK's Profile Search for other posts by DarinK

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2010-May-14 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

I've found Terragen to be very potent. It can render photorealistic scenes, which is something I desire.You can operate on huge scales: from smallest pebble, to the largest planet (maybe even stars, if you've got that kinda mojo).

The downsides I know are:

1: The documentation on their web site leaves much to be desired.
2: Tutorials that are easy to follow are rare. Most tutorials only cover rookies.
3: The learning curve will make Rosie 'o Donell look anorectic.

Despite that, I'm gonna buy the software soon enough, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will increase the quality of my art. Check out this thread for more info: Terragen 2.

Good luck!

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-May-19 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

I can't tell you much about Vue, but i sure do like TG (1 and 2) many of my posts here have used both versions. TG2 is quite versatile in terms of landscapes / planetscapes, with good rendering capabilities, and the ability to import .obj files and a few other formats..... but Fahad does bring up some good cons; no one could say that TG2 is easy to learn. There are some folks who use Vue around here, i think JanL's latest used it
View regulus's Profile Search for other posts by regulus Visit regulus's Homepage

space4man

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2010-May-31 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote space4man

Hi,

Thanks for the info and link to the other thread on Terragen.  I hope to find the try before the summer is over to download the free version of T2 and see how well I do with it.

View space4man's Profile Search for other posts by space4man Visit space4man's Homepage

TeranAmbassador33

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2010-June-01 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote TeranAmbassador33

I tried the first terragen a few days ago, but i found it very confusing and it made me lose interest in the whole series. I had been entranced (is that how its spelled?) by pics on SV using terragen 2 and i wanted to get what i considered the next best thing. I found it akward ( is that how its spelled?) to use. I agree its a its a beautiful renderer, but im wondering, if there is a free version of terragen 2, is it any easier to use, or at least learn?

My blog, check it out:
http://artist-of-the-aether.blogspot.com/
View TeranAmbassador33's Profile Search for other posts by TeranAmbassador33 Visit TeranAmbassador33's Homepage

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-June-07 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

No, sorry, the free version (for both TG1 and TG2) is essentially the same thing as the paid version, only without some of the fancy features. The planetside forums (i think i linked to them in the thread Fahad mentions above) are an excellent source. While both 1 and 2 have completely different interfaces, neither one is very easy to learn. If you have tried the first one, you might try the 2nd, it has a 'node' based interface, where each node does something to some part of the image, the terrain, clouds, sun, etc. It looks very intimidating, and can be tough to get started, but once you grasp how the nodes work together, at least the basics, it starts moving a lot faster.

BTW the main difference between TG1 and TG2, at least to me, is that TG1 has no way to include any objects (buildings, spaceships, trees) 1 is basically just a terrain renderer, while 2 can import .obj files to render.

TeranAmbassador33

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2010-June-10 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote TeranAmbassador33

Ill have to look at that. Im still skittish (is that how its spelled?) about the series though.

My blog, check it out:
http://artist-of-the-aether.blogspot.com/
View TeranAmbassador33's Profile Search for other posts by TeranAmbassador33 Visit TeranAmbassador33's Homepage

cheatsguy777

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-November-06 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote cheatsguy777

Teran, you got close. it's spelled Skiddish. anyway, I learned the TG1 interface after about 3 days of struggling and created a noon image, a sunset, and a few other very interesting images. I feel that terragen 1 is a good idea, but I just started using Vue, and both have their strong points, but both have cons. I would suggest getting Vue 8 Pioneer (the free version) and Terragen .9 (also the free version) and comparing them to see which you like more.

View cheatsguy777's Profile Search for other posts by cheatsguy777 Visit cheatsguy777's Homepage

karl.garnham1

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2010-November-08 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote karl.garnham1

Hi Jim

I don't know much about Vue or Terragen 2 but the problem I found with the last Terragen v9. something is although it makes fantastic landscapes it is a bit limited. Vue I have been told is excellent but it seems quite expensive if you are on a budget. Bryce have now released Bryce 7 Personal learning edition and you may find it to be just as good you can also make really good spacecraft in it as well. here is a link to get to it www.download.com  it is available in Mac and Windows and is free and there is an option to go for Bryce pro. It has quite a steep learning level though and is quite problematic as a lot of people have told me but in my view it is the easiest 3d program to use. You could proberly get a free version or a trial version of Vue on the link I gave you if you still want to have a go.

Hope this helps

Karl

<< Prev Topic Digital Creations Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version