Solar Voyager : Digital Creations

Posted in Digital Creations
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Ecrocken

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2010-January-07 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Ecrocken

I recently started fiddling with space scenes and have learned SO much from reading these forums.  I created a nebula and would like to import it into a star field but when I import it and re-size it, there's a layer line that is visible.  If I lower the opacity to hide the line, I lose a lot of the detail of the nebula.  Does anyone have any tips on merging these layers into one?  I'd post images, but I don't think they'd really help.

Thanks in advance for any help!

~EC
View Ecrocken's Profile Search for other posts by Ecrocken

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-January-07 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Actually it might help to post images  but my first thought is "a layer line? - then just erase it"  Is there any way you could use a small eraser brush to get rid of it?  If that doesn't work, try the clone tool, just shift+click where you want to clone 'from' and then start painting over your line (i'd recommend working with a medium to low opacity on the clone brush) Without seeing the picture its a little hard to come up with a fix
View regulus's Profile Search for other posts by regulus Visit regulus's Homepage

Ecrocken

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2010-January-07 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Ecrocken

Doh, I'd forgotten about the clone tool.  That may work.  Thanks!

I'll post the pics for you and maybe you'll see what I mean.  The nebula  one may need foregroud work, but I was trying to see how things were looking and I got stuck,.

Full Wallpaper View: 1000x1000

Full Wallpaper View: 1000x1000

I need to work on the starfield one, too...

Thanks for the quick reply.

~EC

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-January-07 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

I was looking at the nebula and i noticed some jagged lines around the top right corner near the star cluster. Not sure if those are what was causing the problem, but i would try to clone that out, maybe the blur tool would help too. Some advice: i would always keep your star layers (individual stars or starfields) separate from nebula layers, don't flatten them. The reason is because if you want to go back and change something later it's far easier to do if the layers are still separate.

You're plan is to combine the two images, right? I think the top could almost stand on its own, a little more work and maybe a half dozen more bright stars and a small planet or two and it's looking good
View regulus's Profile Search for other posts by regulus Visit regulus's Homepage

Ecrocken

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2010-January-08 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Ecrocken

Yeah, the wisps up in the upper right are intentional.  Sadly, I've lost my layered copy of the nebula so I'm trying to recreate it.  I suppose what my original question should have specified is how could I re-size a full nebula and blend it into a star field without the edges of the nebula image showing and allowing background stars peek through.  Once I restore the nebula (or something close ), I'll try the cloning suggestion.  I have a feeling it may do what I want, so thanks for that!

~EC

Ecrocken

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2010-January-11 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Ecrocken

I didn't have any luck with recreating the original, but I used your cloning advice to come up with this.  
Full Wallpaper View: 100 x 1000

As you can probably tell, I like red clouds.

I think I've solved the layering issue I was having, thanks to your help!

~EC

regulus

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2010-January-11 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote regulus

Looks pretty good, i like the colors, one little nitpick: on the biggest star, you should have all the layers set to 'screen' or 'linear dodge' - you can see the diffraction bars (spikes) in front of the glow of the star (what i like to do is save a flattened star document - just a single white star on a black or transparent bg and whenever you need a few stars, just open that doc in PS and drag the one star layer into your work, change the color, resize it, whatever, just don't forget to set it to screen)

Ecrocken

Primordial Blob
Primordial Blob

Posted: 2010-January-11 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Ecrocken

Doh, I missed that, though I've noticed the spikes before.  Thanks for pointing it out!

<< Prev Topic Digital Creations Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version