Solar Voyager : Solar Voyager News

Posted in Solar Voyager News
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Administrator

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2004-April-17 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Administrator

If you're back and reading this message, that is a good thing!  The site was out of commission for about two days due to technical issues.  Take a look inside at the rest of this thread for all the details...

View Administrator's Profile Search for other posts by Administrator Visit Administrator's Homepage

Administrator

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2004-April-17 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Administrator

We must love the drama around here because even when we're not looking, it seems to find us.  The site had been up and running flawlessly for about 4 months with nary a blip in service.  I guess that should have had me worried!  

In any case, that came to a screaching halt as the following letter arrived in my email...

-------------------------------------

Dear Customers

The adaptec RAID1 controller failed on (server name ommited) which has corrupted data on both of the 73GB SCSI hard disks on the system. We are desparately working to recover data after talking to Adaptec.

RAID1 is a system we use to protect against data-loss and hard drive crashes. it does this by mirroring both of the SCSI disks on the system (they remain an exact copy at all times). if one of the disk fails, no data would be lost. But unforunately, the RAID1 controller has crashed and done exactly the opposite by spraying corrupt data on both the disks.

What is even more unforunate is that the backup for (server name ommited) was on the server's D: Drive itself. No one transfered it off to our backup server which is a terrible mistake by us.

The worst case scenario is that all customers will have to reupload their files. We're still hoping we can recover something off the server. However, we are also setting up a new system simultaneously.

We will be updating your shortly

Best Regards
Customer Support

---------------------------------------------

Indeed, that's when the day went bad...However, your trusted administrator is not without his resources, so I began to restore data from my last, personal backup of the website.  Here's how it all shakes out:

- The database was untouched by this problem so all users, messages, etc are completely intact.  No loss of data there, which is wonderful.

- The static files have all been replaced and I'm in the process of checking to see that everything works and is intact.  Let me know if you notice anything strange.

- Our one point of loss was the Uploads to the Member's gallery.  We have lost both the preview images and the Wallpaper uploads for about the past 2 weeks or so (only).  So, with that in mind, I'm asking for your help - please review your recent posts in the member's gallery and re-upload the preview\wallpaper images wherever possible by using the "Edit" button at the bottom of the message.

So, that brings you up to date.  I continue to strive towards backing up all data as often as possible (and not depending on the hosting provider for obvious reasons) and will continue doing this moving forward.

Thanks for your understanding and assistance! 

View Administrator's Profile Search for other posts by Administrator Visit Administrator's Homepage

Griff-flyer

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2004-April-17 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Griff-flyer

I was sincerly getting worried and it's nice to see that everything's fixed now thanks to your great job, well done and thank you!! :)
View Griff-flyer's Profile Search for other posts by Griff-flyer

Snedex

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2004-April-17 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Snedex

phew! you had me scared! i was aking people around devart if anyone had heard anything! Glad your back up and running! ... now off to re-submit!
View Snedex's Profile Search for other posts by Snedex

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-April-17 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Don't worry guys, this site has taken worse "damage" and has always come back, it takes more than a few down time days to kill Solar Voyager!

Hawkeye

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-April-18 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Hawkeye

Well put Padawan...histroically, we try to have some sort of outage about every 6 months or so just to keep everyone on their toes!  

Seriously though, anyone who has ever run a high-volume site can tell you a few horror stories about hosting and other technical issues.  It really does come with the territory...onward and upward!  

View Hawkeye's Profile Search for other posts by Hawkeye

behold_rage

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2004-April-22 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote behold_rage

Can you share what type of Server it is:  Mac or PC.  Am very interested.

Thank you in advance,

Robert A.M. Stephens
View behold_rage's Profile Search for other posts by behold_rage

Hawkeye

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-April-22 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Hawkeye

Robert,

The server is Windows 2000.  This is because the original site code was developed in the ASP language (for most pages) and uses MS SQL for the database.  I would prefer to have it running on a Unix-based system because they are generally cheaper and more reliable, but that would mean a complete re-coding and redesign of the site.

View Hawkeye's Profile Search for other posts by Hawkeye

<< Prev Topic Solar Voyager News Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version