Solar Voyager : Current Events in Space Exploration

Posted in Current Events in Space Exploration
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  ardnivar

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2006-August-03 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote ardnivar

This article i found on the internet says it all!

THEY SWALLOW everything that comes their way and exercise the world’s finest minds, but the portrayal of black holes as awe-inspiring celestial menaces may be woefully inaccurate, a team of scientists claim. Indeed, they might not exist at all.

According to the researchers, the traditional astronomers’ view of a universe liberally sprinkled with invisible, all-consuming black holes should be replaced with an alternative that sees strange, magnetic balls of plasma floating in their place.

If the finding is verified — an event some scientists do not see on the horizon — would dramatically overturn a theory that emerged from an English geologist’s calculations in 1784, was verified by Einstein and confined by four laws drawn up by Professor Stephen Hawking.

The scientists, lead by Rudy Schild at the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics, spotted what they claim to be the death knell for black hole theory while observing a quasar, lurking nine billion light years from Earth.

Quasars are believed to have black holes at their centres, but to test this assumption, the scientists set up 14 telescopes to keep an unprecedented watch on the object. By analysing the gentle flickering of the quasar, the team were able to probe the structure of its interior.

They discovered a gaping hole in a disc of material surrounding the centre of the quasar, as wide as 4,000 times the distance from the earth to the sun. The hole, they believe, could only be caused by a vast ejection of material propelled by a strong magnetic field.

Because black holes do not have magnetic fields, Dr. Schild’s team suggest in The Astronomical Journal, the quasar must be powered by a dense ball of plasma called a MECO (magnetospheric eternally collapsing object). But according to the astronomers’ theories the MECOs' existence precludes the possibility of black holes.

“I believe this is the first evidence that the whole black hole paradigm is incorrect,” said Darryl Leiter, a scientist on the team told the New Scientist.

According to Gerry Gilmore at Cambridge University's Institute for Astronomy, the theory has yet to convince most scientists. He pointed to last year's groundbreaking experiments that gave the first direct observation of a black hole at the centre of our galaxy, the Milky Way.

Edited by ardnivar

View ardnivar's Profile Search for other posts by ardnivar Visit ardnivar's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2006-August-03 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

This is extremely interesting;  One of the things that I have a hard time swallowing is the concept of a singularity (a place of infinite mass and no volume). If you take that as true,  how can something with no volume have a radius that is directly proportional to the size of the mass when the mass is infinite to begin with? 

Therefore these folks may be on to something, black holes with singularities may be just a mathematical myth.  Jan

View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2006-August-04 at 1:40am | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Interesting hypothesis. Where did you get this article? One should always give a reference to the sorce.

\_O_/

Re(i)mbrandt

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2006-August-04 at 3:24am | IP Logged Quote Re(i)mbrandt

Interesting. But that’s just one opinion among many others.

But this article shows one important fact: that what we are calling scientific knowledige is not so secured as we often think. If this result is correct it’s perhaps only a beginning of throwing away popular opinions, theories and hypothesises. Especially the search for exo-solar planets often shows surprising resulats which destroy supposed »save« scientific options. I remember: scientists said that gas-giants couldn’t exist close to a star until such a giant was discoverd. Scientists said that a planet couldn’t exist inside a 3-star-system until such a planet was discovered. And so on.

And who will know if even the big-bang-theory will survive the coming discoveries? Creating a universe and even time and space »out of nothing« sounds also odd as the singularity of a black hole sounds.

View Re(i)mbrandt's Profile Search for other posts by Re(i)mbrandt Visit Re(i)mbrandt's Homepage

ardnivar

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2006-August-04 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote ardnivar

Sorry I should have included the link.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1832896,00.html

View ardnivar's Profile Search for other posts by ardnivar Visit ardnivar's Homepage

<< Prev Topic Current Events in Space Exploration Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version