Solar Voyager : General Discussion

Posted in General Discussion
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-March-01 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

So any news regarding the possible site transformation !?

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2005-March-01 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

Tom, have you made a decision yet or still digesting the comments-Jan
View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

Sharky

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2005-March-01 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Sharky

JanL wrote:
Stefan, I don't see anything wrong with your post as any of the others here.

Agreed.

JanL wrote:
I'm sorry that Sharky feels the way he does.

Don't be. It's just me and my problem. I didn't say that I will stop to comment others artwork, just that I will stop posting "sci-fi scenes" (99% of my work) here if that is required, and I think it has become required, as far as I can understand.

-Hellraiser-
View Sharky's Profile Search for other posts by Sharky Visit Sharky's Homepage

Sharky

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2005-March-01 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Sharky

djspinnet wrote:
Running away and stop posting here is not the solution.

I presume that you are replying to me. I will stop posting my artwork here because it is required. What is a solution? I find no interest of making a clishe like viking probe on Mars or something like that that is "real".

-Hellraiser-
View Sharky's Profile Search for other posts by Sharky Visit Sharky's Homepage

Klankster

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2005-March-02 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote Klankster

OK, here's the direction I'm thinking of going in...

1) Reserve the Space Art Gallery for finished space art pieces only.  These must conform to the Solar Voyager charter as established by Hawkeye -- Astronomical art or space art, with or without human artifacts such as spacecraft, bases, etc.  The images should be realistic, not too fantasy-oriented.  Any spacecraft or human artifacts should be either real-world designs or original creations (no Star Trek or Star Wars vehicles, for example).

2) Add a new forum under "Artist's Studio", called "Works in Progress".  This would be a place to show what you're working on -- Vehicles, planets, brushing techniques, etc. that could have a place in a finished space art piece.  The idea is to stimulate discussion on how these things are created and how others can also create them, sharing useful techniques and knowledge.  As with the gallery, lets keep any vehicles either real-world or original designs.

I believe this will accomodate just about everyone here.  The Gallery will have only finished pieces, allowing viewers to focus on completed pieces.  The WIP forum will let everyone share their in-progress work, regardless of whether it's a nebula, planet or spacecraft.  Yes, even sci-fi.

Does this sound reasonable?  If so, I'll set up the forum in the next couple of days.

View Klankster's Profile Search for other posts by Klankster Visit Klankster's Homepage

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-March-02 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Sounds like a wise plan, Tom

Keep up the EXCELLENT work !

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2005-March-02 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote JanL

Tom, agree, this should definitely satisfy everyone and allow our website to develop. Jan
View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

fhettick

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2005-March-03 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote fhettick

Same subject came up under 'Submission Guidelines' in Dec. 2003 (try a search for "Submission Guidelines")!

My posted response at that time was - and still remains the same to this current subject post - as follows:

Posted 01-01-04

"Hey - it's New Years Day - HAPPY NEW YEAR - EVERYONE!

And since I have a little time this holiday I will weigh in here on the "sci-fi art" v. "space art" v. "astronomical art" question!

Dave's (Hardy) definition is "right-on" as are most of the thread comments - BUT for the defense of my own style of "space art" (or is it) I need to remind the members of the wide and sticky net being cast here!

I paint in photo-realistice style - combined with a 'resto-space' look of the 1950-60's space illustrations!  And the era I concentrate on is very evident in many of my 'old'  space ship designs with wings, fins, 'pointy-noses', etc.

But I have taken this a bit further than the 50-60's by my depiction of space ships and space travelers on or near planets that are often not even in our solar system - or in a few pics, not even in the same galaxy we call home!

And so many of my artworks (if not all) should not be on this site, as they could probably be defined as 'science-fiction' or 'science-fantasy' views simply because the scene and elements within the piece are 'pictured' so far away from any known planetary system or employ space-ship designs that we (now) know would never work properly, efficiently, or economically as a means of space travel.

And because my scene, location, the astronauts, and the space-ship are "out of place" and indeed depicted somewhere that we know could NEVER be possible - then must it be categorized as 'sci-fi or science-fantasy"?

If the answer is 'YES' - then my art must be placed in the 'sci-fi' or 'sci-fantasy' category - and not elgible for presentation on Solar Voyager!

BUT - is there really a hard and fast line between 'sci-fi-fantasy' and science 'fact' that can be determined?

And before anyone answers that - remember that all of these were considered to be only 'sci-fi or fantasy' - until they became a scientific reality - the atom bomb; tv; hovercraft; transistors; laser-beam; computers small enough to wear like a watch or carry in your pocket; miniture picture telephones; space ships; space stations; men on the moon; space ships landing on Mars; space-ships to other planets and beyond; telescopes in space; satellite relay stations for telephones and tv; home computers; global positioning sensors; etc. etc. etc.

And because I want to capture, perpetuate, and expand a somewhat more romantic, simplified view of exciting dreams about the future - am I to be concerned that I may be violating today's concept of 'space or astronomical art'?

Yes - I agree that depicting a sword-bearing muscular hero defending against strange spider-men seeking to do harm to buxom ladies would not be appropriate on Solar Voyager - but my 'sci-fi' pieces - Hmmmm!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Now I am not specifically saying that this subject should NOT come up once every year - just to remind everyone of what Solar-Voyager IS - and IS NOT!  Probably a good thing (remember the Woolworth - or K-Mart syndrome ie. 'try to be something to everyone and you will end up being nothing to anyone!')

Best regards - Frank H.

Administrator

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2005-March-03 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Administrator

The WIP forum has now been set up.  I've moved this topic to the "General Discussion" category because it really doesn't belong in the gallery forum.

Frank, thanks for posting your older note on this topic.  Your art is a good example of what finally helped me decide the direction to go in -- Yes, it has "science-fictiony" aspects, but then so does all futuristic art.  The difference, I think, is kind of hard to put one's finger on.  So I decided that if people are working on space art, with original designs, as long as they stay away from overt sci-fi elements, we'll be fine.

Anyway, I believe we can all get back on track with working on artwork!

View Administrator's Profile Search for other posts by Administrator Visit Administrator's Homepage

cheatsguy777

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2010-December-24 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote cheatsguy777

I am unsure if anyone else has posted this, but if your art contains some sci-fi (alien creatures/futuristic sci-fi spaceships) included in a piece that is specifically based around the space-art, is that permitted?
View cheatsguy777's Profile Search for other posts by cheatsguy777 Visit cheatsguy777's Homepage

<< Prev Topic General Discussion Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version