Posted in General Discussion
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Fredi

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-11 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Fredi

Hi,

I hope I'm not  too much responsible for this here  , but I understand, if people here want to protect the original Space art in this forum.

but my opinion is, that scifi is often a piece of spaceart so I think its Ok,  when its not to much scifi or spaceship W.I.P's etc.

please excuse my very bad english: Fredi
View Fredi's Profile Search for other posts by Fredi Visit Fredi's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2005-February-11 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

Hi folks, I've been reading all your inputs and doing some thinking and sole searching on this topic. I, too have been guilty of throwing a ship or two here or a bug hopping around on a planet.   I don't think that a ship or astronaut in a scene hurts as long as the scene itself is realistic.  What's sci fi now may not be in 100 years.  

Now, what do I mean by realistic.  Proper lighting, moon, planet, solar system, star nebula galaxy relationships.  Jan

View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

chaos

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2005-February-11 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote chaos

I'm tending to agree with JanL here - sci-fi can be used as a way into exploring the possibilities of the real universe, and SF elements such as spacecraft or astronauts can provide a sense of scale. The subgenre "hard SF" is an example of this: it takes what we know about science and the universe and builds on that observational framework. The Mars lander series in these forums is a good example of this: while it is science fiction, it clearly builds on current knowledge of Mars and space technology to create a plausible, realistic but still science-fiction viewpoint.
View chaos's Profile Search for other posts by chaos

djspinnet

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2005-February-12 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote djspinnet

An astronaut and a ship or two does not hurt, as long as the scene is realistic.

True. But some scenes are actually downright unrealistic, and some scenes do not portray space, but only the ship on a black background with some dots as stars.

But if your ship is realistic, then why not? There's no harm.

View djspinnet's Profile Search for other posts by djspinnet Visit djspinnet's Homepage

Sharky

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2005-February-12 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Sharky

djspinnet wrote:
But if your ship is realistic, then why not? There's no harm.

Define "realistic"? Eg. my work To Boldly Go... for instance should be deleted from forum only because it's not realistic... I don't know so much about space art, I am still stuck in that learning curve, but how is anyone suposed to post "realistic". I mean if someone models a Shuttlecraft like Challenger or something then it makes no sense that some1 else does the same thing and suddenly there are million of posts all showing shuttle. Real? Yes. Boring? Definitely. Also in the case are nebulae that we can get photos from. Like Horsehead nebula, Pleiades and alike. There are not so many things we can brush and show here. It all leads to same thing - every1 will do alot of "real" known nebulae and thats it. Everything will start to repeat, and there is no imagination involved, and that would be sad.

Sorry about my messed up english, I just hope that you will all understand what I wanted to say.

Idea about WIP area is great, I wish that it will be possible to do it so we, newcomers, newbies, whatever, can also learn things. Thats what I would like to know.

Denis

-Hellraiser-
View Sharky's Profile Search for other posts by Sharky Visit Sharky's Homepage

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-12 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

I do no think there is ever a possibilty to actually split these two genres. My solution is perhaps to make subforums and then the member can make the choice weather to view the sci-fi or the space art... personally I will lurk both ;)

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

Bambam131

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-12 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Bambam131

I have been reading this forum and was wondering if my art work is also considered Sci-Fi. I try to depict what could possible be things to come in the near future. I am also mostly on the hardware side. My space vehicles do not have laser cannon or mega disintegrators or such. I do however try to depict what I think a real manned mission might one day look like to one of the planets in our solar system. Should I also stop posting my pictures here

Regards,

David

PS: I don't do Sci-Fi, well at least I don't believe so.........

Edited by Bambam131
View Bambam131's Profile Search for other posts by Bambam131 Visit Bambam131's Homepage

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-12 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Hehe, your art is definitely "safe" David, IMO you have nothing to worry about, you're an astronomical artist

Edited by Padawan

Incubus

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-12 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote Incubus

How do we know that some of the artwork that is posted on this website is unrealistic? Have we seen the whole universe? Im sure out of an infinity of space, there has to be something that one of has has created!

djspinnet

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2005-February-13 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote djspinnet

If the artwork, ships, space stations, nebulaes and galaxies and stars and what not, is scientifically realistic in the present or near future, then it is safe.

incubus: nebula and space and planet drawings are usually quite safe. whats mostly unrealistic are usually aliens in alien worlds, or totally unrealistic spaceships.

View djspinnet's Profile Search for other posts by djspinnet Visit djspinnet's Homepage

<< Prev Topic General Discussion Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version