Solar Voyager : General Discussion

Posted in General Discussion
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  djspinnet

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote djspinnet

I've been wanting to say this for quite sometime, maybe its high time I spoke up.

The WIP-help thingy has been here for a long time and Hawky supported it, and participated gladly. I don't see that as too big a problem actually.

The problem is too much non space-art related artwork. Space Art is one thing. Sci-Fi is another. Space art is depiction of the sky and everything in it. Hanging in between sci-fi and space art are the landscapes, cloudscape much like those you can find in the Expert's Gallery, or in National Geographic's artists depictions.

Full Sci-fi would be something that looks like it was inspired by Star Wars or Star Trek, drawings of aliens and alien worlds (emphasis habitats and not just stone surfaces!)

And that's just a simple, sweeping generalization.

The aim of SV is to encourage space art and astronomy, to encourage LEARNING of the cosmos. Yet I see many people do not understand the concept of Space Art nor even rudimentary Chemistry, Physics, or Astronomy.

Where have all the good days gone, where all of us can start a discussion about Chemistry, Laws and Theories, Physics, Rules, and be all excited about it? THAT'S WHAT I MISS MOST ABOUT SV! Where have all the good days gone where I could just mention that I plan to paint the Horsehead Nebula and a dedicated SCIENCE thread would be opened just do discuss the starmap of the Alnitak?

I remember Snedex too, posting about the Roche's Limit. And everyone got excited and for a long time, everyone was trying to abide that Law.

And I remember JanL and his funny spork picking and teasing that never ceases to amuse us, and his abundance of astronomical knowledge - he seems to know everything, if not, he will find out.

Those were the moments I loved most. This is not just a forum to fish for praises, comments or to show off your "l337" skills.

I don't wish to start a brawl or a rift. But I need to get this off my chest - SV is losing its community spirit day by day, and the yearning of stars and the skies seems to be waning too.

Solar Voyager is a community. Bring that community spirit back. Bring back too, the yearning to learn.

Edited by djspinnet

View djspinnet's Profile Search for other posts by djspinnet Visit djspinnet's Homepage

Coltzero

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Coltzero

Ok Klankster.
Your the boss.

If you wish this thread is removed, i see no problem in that. I understand that this is a spaceart site, i was the one beeing wrong by posting models here.

I probably wont post anything here for a long time then, as im gonna focus on modeling of spacecraft and/or stations, maybe some scene now and then, but mostly models.

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

djspinnet wrote:
Where have all the good days
gone, where all of us can start a discussion about Chemistry, Laws and
Theories, Physics, Rules, and be all excited about it?

Now, DJ, there is nothing that stops you from asking these things. I for one side would gladly help you to understand physics and astronomy to the best of my abilities. I would also most certainly indulge myself in discussions about strange space chemistry. Who is it to say you cannot bring the old days back ?!

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

Klankster

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Klankster

Colt, I'm a 3D modeling guy myself (it's my profession and my passion), so believe me when I say that I like 3d spacecraft meshes about as much as anyone.  I've actually had to stop myself from posting such things here because when I took over ownership & management of this site from Hawkeye, I told him I'd stay true to his intent for the site.  That said, if the users of this site want to have 3D modeling discussed here, since it's used to varying extents in a lot of space art, I'm open to starting a sub-forum for it.  As I said in my earlier message, I'm open to suggestions.

In case you haven't been there, one of our partner sites, SciFi Meshes, is a fantastic place to show off this kind of work and get a lot of good feedback from some awesome modelers.

And DJ, as aszazeroth says, ask away!  I took two years of astronomy in college and love talking about that kind of thing.  Discussing why things look the way they are leads to better space art -- It certainly minimizes the situation where someone who is familiar with the physics involved looks at an image and has an immediate negative reaction!

View Klankster's Profile Search for other posts by Klankster Visit Klankster's Homepage

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Personally, I think a sub forum for WIP images would be a nice idea.

And to really find out what the members think about letting science-fiction being a part of this site, a poll might be a good idea.

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Great, I was just about suggesting moving this out of Coltzero's thread.
I think a subforum for WIPs is a great idea. Works very well over at SFM.

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

Incubus

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Incubus

What happend. ive been away. Whats going on?

djspinnet

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2005-February-11 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote djspinnet

aszazeroth, i did ask, but somehow it wasn't like what it was back then anymore. and there were no more "impromptu" lessons and tips anymore, I noticed, like, finding out where the Alnitak is, just because I posted a Horsehead Nebula WIP. I find those kind of questions few and far between lately.

The WIP forum is a good idea and critical to SV. Posting WIPs have long been the tradition at SV, only it's pretty much jumbled together with the user galleries. And I did make an observation too, that few of the "newer" people were posting WIPs before I posted mine with the ubiquitous "WIP - Help" in the title.

Then I say 10 million other WIPs with "Help" in their title.

This shows many people do not realize SV is not jst a "post and show" forum, but "post, help, teach, encourage and show"

Edited by djspinnet

View djspinnet's Profile Search for other posts by djspinnet Visit djspinnet's Homepage

Coltzero

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-11 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Coltzero

im all in for the WIPs forums.

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-11 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

djspinnet wrote:
...but
somehow it wasn't like what it was back then anymore. and there were no
more "impromptu" lessons and tips anymore...

Well DJ, I guess there can never be exaclty the same way as before (not really sure if I ever was around in the before era) But again there is nothing that says there has always to be decline in this regard. We can perhaps usher a new era of "imaginative space exploration". I bet there are a bunch of people here with many ideas and great knowledge in various sciences. Maybe there needs to be a restructuralization of the forums to facilitate the birth of such discussions or we (yes I am not too good at that too) start to use the forums at the bottom on the forum listing ;)

Come on guys, keep the spirit high... too many sad posts here lately

<< Prev Topic General Discussion Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version