Solar Voyager : General Discussion

Posted in General Discussion
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-08 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

EDIT: The initial posts on this thread have been extracted from this thread.

It has come to my attention that sci-fi work isnt what Solar Voyager originally intended to display, it is against the image guidelines. It was meant to show real space art. Seeing that people are posting more and more sci-fi, I will discuss this matter with the main administrator soon and see if Solar Voyager's "policy" should be changed or if sci-fi work should be excluded from the gallery in the future too.

Klankster, if you feel that this thread should be located elsewhere or have another status, feel free to move/change it

Edited by Padawan

Coltzero

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Coltzero

Oh it is spaceart, i've added stars, you look closely and you'll see them.
So its an official space-piece

ElfStone

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote ElfStone

You can add a concept-forum or something? Or something...

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Coltzero wrote:
Oh it is spaceart, i've added stars, you look closely and you'll see them.
So its an official space-piece

Coltzero, just because you have stars in your picture it doesnt mean it's space art. Your submission is clearly sci-fi oriented.

Elfstone, if it is space art, then yes. Else, no.

But, as I said earlier, I will have to discuss this matter with the main admin and see what comes out of that discussion. I wouldnt give up my hopes just yet if I were you.

Coltzero

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Coltzero

well, Fredi got clearance.

And if not, fine. I'll just go to other forums. Plenty enough

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Like I said, I wouldnt give up my hopes just yet.

And if Solar Voyager doesnt change its policy, it affects all sci-fi

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Padawan wrote:
And if Solar Voyager doesnt change its policy, it affects all sci-fi

Hmm where is the difference between Space oriented art and sci-fi. I can clearly understand a ship is a pure case, but how about a exoplanet.... noone has ever seen one of those ? Same goes with perhaps the view from a surface of a planet... that is not really space ?

Just wondering, no pointers intended

I like all the forms of creations here.

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Hi Aszazeroth, you ask a valid question. I have asked Klankster to make a decision about this. He will probably get back to us soon. Below is the quote about what Solar Voyager is supposed to display. But before I post it, I just want to make one thing clear:

I am NOT the main administrator of this web site. I am a moderator who is supposed to make sure that rules are followed, for the comfort of Solar Voyager's visitors.

On the Site Information page Hawkeye wrote:

Image Guidelines

This site is dedicated to Space and Astronomical artwork.  Not every piece in the gallery is scientifically accurate, but many of them are.  The others are of a realistic nature.  Image submissions (postings) should not be overly-abstract, or science-fiction oriented.  Browsing the current images in the gallery will give you a general idea of what is acceptable.  Images which disregard these guidelines may be removed at the administrator's discretion.

A more concise definition of "Space Art" may also be useful, for which we will defer to a true veteran of the field, David A. Hardy, who writes:

"For the newcomer to astronomical art, it is important to understand what it is - and is not.  The term "space art" is also sometimes used to describe this genre; there is no real difference, except that the latter term usually encompasses art that includes hardware (spacecraft and other vehicles) and figures such as astronauts, while "astronomical art" is more likely to depict purely landscapes and/or objects and bodies in space, such as planets, moons, stars, galaxies, etc.

The essential thing about this type of art is that it must be based on an informed knowledge of the universe.  That is, the artist must have either studied astronomy and have a fair knowledge of other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry, physics, geology and some mathmatics, or at least have a leaning towards these subjects and be willing (indeed eager) to learn.  This is what makes our form of art different from science fiction and fantasy, where the artist exercises his/her imagination without as much reference to scientific reality."

Edited by Padawan

AmishHacker

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2005-February-09 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote AmishHacker

I think a decision to ban science fiction art on these forums will kill a lot of the work posted here.  Unless it is a drawing a nebula or celestial object we know...space art is technically science fiction.  All ficticious planets, ships and starbases drawn for space art would no longer be allowed on the forum.  I realize you're not the head cheese, Pad, you just enforce the set guidelines, but this is something that should be considered. 

I for one have enjoyed the science fiction work here on the forums.  I'd hate to see David and others thrown out because of their style.  Btw, is that rule new?  It doesn't seem like it used to be that way.

Just my two cents, but it's already been mentioned above.  So it's not a creative two cents. 

-Wes

Edited by AmishHacker
View AmishHacker's Profile Search for other posts by AmishHacker Visit AmishHacker's Homepage

Klankster

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2005-February-10 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Klankster

I've been thinking about this for some time, and I'm glad Padawan brought it up.  The initial push that got me going on it was some artwork that was very fantasy-oriented.  It hasn't started to get out of hand, so I haven't pushed it, but perhaps now is the time to address this issue.

To me, any artwork that has a realistic depiction of space or space technology, even if somewhat "science fictiony" such as some of Frank Hettick's work should be welcome here.  Other artwork, as long as it has elements and techniques that can translate easily into realistic space art work should also be allowed.

When we start getting wholesale fantasy pieces or Works-In-Progress of spacecraft and other elements in the gallery forum, I think we're starting to get a little off-topic.  As I said, when the Pegasus piece showed up, I didn't get in anybody's face about it because it prompted some discussion about technique that I felt was valuable.

My initial take on this is to reserve the gallery forum for finished or almost-finished space art pieces and set up a new forum, maybe under "Artist's Studio", for elements such as spacecraft elements or very early image WIPs.

The last thing I want to do here is stomp on peoples' creativity.  Nor do I want to have an "anything goes" approach.  When some of these things such as spacecraft started showing up, I went back to the Image Guidelines to see if they fit the guidelines.  Some are pushing the envelope a bit, but as long as they were items that could apply to space art, or work into a final image, I allowed them.  Everything evolves, and I want to be sure we adapt to some things that weren't encompassed by the current guidelines.

Please give me your comments or suggestions here.  Private messages are also welcome if you feel it's appropriate.

View Klankster's Profile Search for other posts by Klankster Visit Klankster's Homepage

<< Prev Topic General Discussion Next Topic >>

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version