Posted in Space Art Gallery - Members
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  fhettick

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2005-January-08 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote fhettick

Hi - All -

Here is a piece I recently completed and sold as a 15" x 30" canvas giclee print.

Lots of mousey-moves in PhotoPaint 9 with the Jupiter sphere being rendered in Bryce 5.

Original file size is some 250+MB and resolution is 360 ppi.  Tried to format this to the actual printed size (15 x 30-inches) to show the detail but just could not hold the resolution to what the rules call for - so here is the best I could put through.

Here is the preview piece:

The white borders on the right-hand side and bottom contain info such as copyright, title, etc. when the piece is printed on canvas.

And here is the link to the bigger image:

Full Wallpaper View : 1024x768

Well - that may not have worked too well (it was supposed to come through as 1600 and not 1024)!  Hmmm - !

Best regards - Frank H.

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2005-January-08 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

Frank, it is always a pleasure having your art here--great job as always.  For you new folks, Frank is an outstanding  professional artist and you can see some of his works in the image archive as well as his website. Jan
View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-January-09 at 2:44am | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Hi Frank!

I have been an admirer of your work for a while now and am happy to see some more of your art here on Solar Voyager!

And oh! Don't worry about what the link to your wallpaper says. There is some bug in the forum. Your picture will be displayed in the size you uploaded it.

Scorpyan

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2005-January-09 at 4:43am | IP Logged Quote Scorpyan

i hope the two astronauts did not miss the rocket

nice pic

SCORPYANS GALLERY : http://scorpyan.deviantart.com/gallery/
View Scorpyan's Profile Search for other posts by Scorpyan Visit Scorpyan's Homepage

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-January-09 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Excellent work. I like it alot. Good use of colors and theme. Only thing I could ask for is a higher res Jupiter texture... However I have no higher myself, maybe a future project.

Great job !, keep more of them comming

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

fhettick

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2005-January-09 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote fhettick

Hi - All - and thanks for the comments!  Each is appreciated!

Actually - I always try to have a 'theme' or 'background story' behind most of the pieces I do!

In 'Towards Home' I like to think that the astronauts did not miss their flight (a lot of viewers have thought that is the case) but are simply watching a ship returning home while they remain as a part of a contingent that mans a permanent outpost base off the right of the picture frame.

Perhaps there are also several other ships parked just out of the scene we see here.  I even considered that the ship might be landing (rather than taking off) to 'rescue' the astronauts - but then the title would have had to be something like "Return Mission" or something!

A really great artist that we know (William S. Phillips) agreed with me that every painting should have at least one story or circumstance behind it!

Best - Frank H.

Klankster

Eternal Watchman
Eternal Watchman

Posted: 2005-January-09 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Klankster

Frank, this is so inspirational.  Your attention to detail in the planet's atmosphere is remarkable, and the foreground terrain is simply photoreal.  My hat's off to you!

View Klankster's Profile Search for other posts by Klankster Visit Klankster's Homepage

Floydier

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-January-10 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Floydier

That's a damn fine image
View Floydier's Profile Search for other posts by Floydier Visit Floydier's Homepage

chaos

Star-faring Vagabond
Star-faring Vagabond

Posted: 2005-January-10 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote chaos

That is a brilliant picture - just a question, which moon is this supposed to represent: if it's Io a permanent base might not be such a good idea 
View chaos's Profile Search for other posts by chaos

fhettick

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2005-January-10 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote fhettick

Hi - Chaos -

You are correct!  It is Io - and it would be very tough to maintain any kind of permanent outpost there based on what we know today!

BUT - (and this is my favorite 'escape clause') remember that I paint in the style of the 1950-60's era before we had all the fly-by probes, hi-res photo-and-radar mapping, Hubble, on-site rovers, etc.

So - my viewpoint in my pieces is from the amount of info and conjecture that we had at mid-20th century - the Willy Ley, Chesley Bonestell, Werner von Braun, etc. approach to space travel - which I have always thought was more romantic and held a lot more pizzaz!

I try to make this pretty clear just in the spaceship styling alone - that 'retro' look of pointy noses, fins, single-stage, etc. stuff!

And - of course - my entire output of space art is titled as being a part of a large series titled "Space Art At Mid-Century: The 1950s".

Just my way of having fun and avoiding all of the many technical and 'scientifically-accurate' requirements that would be necessary if I were trying to maintain pace with each new bit of info coming in through our space efforts!

And if I did follow the strict science approach - I would be needing to go back and change, add, paint over, or throw out any pieces based on last year's data since new info has now arrived!  That sounds like too much work and no fun!

So even though my art pieces may look realistic and possible, alas - the individual elements themselves will probably never exist in reality!

But - good inquisitive thinking on your part!

Best - Frank H.  

<< Prev Topic Space Art Gallery - Members Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version