Solar Voyager : Works In Progress

Posted in Works In Progress
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  diabloblanco17

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 4:40am | IP Logged Quote diabloblanco17

In the same vein as aszazeroth's planets...

For those of you who live in a cave, Halo is an XBox/PC game that is named for the ringworld that nearly all of the action takes place on.
That said, I'm working on a model of the ring and a set of textures for it. As of now, I've finished about a sixth of it. I'll post updates upon the completion of each of the six pieces I've divided the texture maps into, and, if I can figure out how to do so, create an add-on for it when I'm finished. Here are some renders from 3ds Max and a scaled-down version of the terrain map.

Texture Map
View diabloblanco17's Profile Search for other posts by diabloblanco17 Visit diabloblanco17's Homepage

Coltzero

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote Coltzero

i play halo, great game.
You've made realistic rings, very well done. I'd love to see something of the backside of the halo, you know, the techy side.
The starfield might need some work, i see a lot of repeation.

nice
- Freerk

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Awesome, great stuff.... Reminds me to finish my own ring project.... Love your maps... can you do a render with the ring arching away in the horizon !?

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

Hi Matt, I live in a cave .  Never played the game (guess I would rather make them than play them-besides I lose badly).

However, great rendering even though I don't understand the curves probably because I don't know the game.  Jan

View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

AidenVenis

Esoteric Dreamer
Esoteric Dreamer

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote AidenVenis

Looking good only I have the idea that you have used some nasa pictures for the background. I could be mistaking of course and if I do then I am sorry.

The rings are great, just like the real game. I think it would be way to hard to make the back side of the ring becuase it needs a lot of work, I mean all that techi work and all! Your starfield isn't good, as Coltzero said there is way to much repeation in there, maybe you can flip the layer with the repeation in it let's say flip it 180 degrees, that solves that problem.

By the way, a background planet, moon or light emmiting source would do great to!

Good job!
< ="">

diabloblanco17

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote diabloblanco17

Thanks, guys. The starfield is indeed a NASA image that I edited and color corrected so that it would match the galaxy in the center, which I ripped directly from the Halo CD. It is somewhat repetitive, and I'll correct that in my next update, but this isn't supposed to be an artistic representation; just visuals of the textures mapped onto the model. I'll attempt an artistic piece when I'm finished with the Halo, Threshold (the gas giant it orbits), and Basis (a nearby moon).

Here's the render you wanted, aszazeroth:

And the back isn't very hard at all, since I'm just using the texture I ripped from the game. It's only a matter of proportioning the material correctly. Here's what it looks like when lit up.

Special-K

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2004-October-09 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Special-K

Very interesting concept and well executed with perspective and angle.  However I think that the starfield takes away from some of this because its so bland and uniform, if you spruced it up and made it much more sharper/cleaner this would look a lot better.  
View Special-K's Profile Search for other posts by Special-K Visit Special-K's Homepage

Hoevelkamp

Galactic Wayfarer
Galactic Wayfarer

Posted: 2005-August-02 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Hoevelkamp

Hi, diabloblanco17!

Wow! Great project to a good game. I tried a ringworld in PS. Didnīt work out. I think for a project like that you really need a 3D-program. Yourīs is already looking good. But, as you named it, it looks like a WIP. The render where the ring is arching away in the horizon, Iīm missing the feeling of an atmosphere.
By the way, you ever read "the ringworld" by Larry Niven? If not, it might boost your inspiration through the ceiling. (hope that came out right)
Canīt wait to see this project when itīs finished.

Greets Frieso

Fahad

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2005-August-02 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Fahad

Hi diabloblanco,

Please ad here to the forum rules on how to post your imagery. You are required to post a preview image max (640*480) in size, along with a link to the full view, as opposed to directly posting the full view here.

Threads violating the forum rules can be deleted at any point, without warning.

Link: How to Display Your Work

Edited by Fahad

diabloblanco17

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2005-August-02 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote diabloblanco17

Ooooooookay then.

First of all, there's another topic showing my further progress in the WIP forum, as is appropriate. Instead of bumping a long-dead topic that isn't even up-to-date, make any comments in the topic that is current. As a rule for the future, Craven, don't post in threads that are as old as this one was. It tends to make everyone think that the creator is updating it with a progress report.

And I'd appreciate it if you would delete this topic, Fahad, since there's another one that serves the same purpose, and is in the right forum.

<< Prev Topic Works In Progress Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version