Posted in Space Art Gallery - Members
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-September-22 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Hi all

I have been lurking this forum since I found it, but after an earth shattering move overseas from Europe to US, with little or no real access to the net, I have decided that I'll share some of my work with you. Given the uniqueness of my forum name, I am the same dude over at scifi meshes forums where my thread includes the W.I.P of the things I'll show here. My weapon of choice is 3D studio Max and I paint my textures in photoshop. Please feel free to point out stuff you like or dislike, since I am always eager to improve my skills.

So right on to the first one then...

Epsilon Eridani III, a jungle marsh planet not far from Solsystem. The text in the picture is for a large projekt where I have deviced (heavy influenced by ST) a classification system for planets. My scientific approach here is biased by the choice of my working career, I am a astrophysisist, with a Ph.D degree and currently employed at NASA/GSFC.

Looking forward to share this forum and perhaps bring some art to you dudes and duderinos

PS.
How come I have no "second" button to upload a large image !? Is that somehow "theme" related !?
D.S

//Aszazeroth

Full Wallpaper View : 1024x768   

Edited by aszazeroth

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Well, maybe you need another one to compare with... Here's "Mu Herculi" are rare jewel among planets. I "create" planets for my personal scifi universe based upon the stars in the solar neighbourhood and a program that calculates possible planet configurations basically using gravity and fast forward accrestion of solarsystems. Pelagic or >95% water planets are not super rare... the rare thing about this on is that it's small enough to contain a breathable atmosphere. For over 300 single stars in my program, I only get three habitable waterplanets.

Still no large picture button .... maybe Mac related !?

Full Wallpaper View : 1024x768   

Edited by aszazeroth

View aszazeroth's Profile Search for other posts by aszazeroth Visit aszazeroth's Homepage

Coltzero

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Coltzero

Hi asazazeroth (why couldent ya pick an easier 2 spell name )
i like your idea of making a "class and name" planet (even 2 of them)
I dont see anythin 2 give crits on, nice idea and nice pictures

well done

- Freerk

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Hi Coltzero

Sorry about the name... an old story... It was a name I made up for a Dragon (I have a thing for them winged beasts) I once played in a RPG ages ago and it sort of stuck with me... more unique than "The Dragon" on internet anyway.

Actually I have 24-25 major classes of planets and the system provides ability to subclass, like the first one is a combination of M and Q class.

Glad you like them. These two are one of the few I am really happy with. When I have updated some others I'll post more for you to enjoy

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote JanL

Hi Stefan, your planets are outstanding.  The extent of the atmosphere is exactly right--folks note it.

Just have one question on clouds, what is your trick-they sure look realistic.

Great job in handling 3D Max  --Jan

You should be able to upload.  Do you have this displayed?

This icon is the one that loads your larger image to our website server.  It works for

Macs  too 

Edited by JanL
View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

Thanks, JanL, the clouds are made in PS, with a careful combination of custum brushes made from real clouds and weather pattern from a small program that similates coriolis forces on a given geometry, in this case a sphere. Then there is only hard work and work and some more work.

More over tricks is to place the cloud sphere just a tiny bit of the surface and make sure tha shadows are not 100% black. A special falloff map give the clouds their color and specularity which is edge dependent. I play around with parameters a lot.

Hmm, I don't have that second upload icon !? maybe I'll just upload from a PC next time

Next image I'll upload will be a gasgiant, those are even harder to make, since there is little reference besides voyager images and fractal cloud cover does not come naturally for me to paint

Edited by aszazeroth

diabloblanco17

Sentient Life-form
Sentient Life-form

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote diabloblanco17

Cool. Perhaps you could post the textures you're using to map the spheres in 3ds Max as well?
View diabloblanco17's Profile Search for other posts by diabloblanco17 Visit diabloblanco17's Homepage

JanL

Celestial Watchman
Celestial Watchman

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote JanL

Thanks for the info, haven't tried the custom brush technique or even if PaintShop Pro even has it (poor man's PS).  Research is required  Jan

Ps if you can't post a larger version to the server, post a private message to Hawkeye-he'll scratch his head a little and get a path for you-Jan

View JanL's Profile Search for other posts by JanL

Incubus

Planetary Explorer
Planetary Explorer

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Incubus

Awsome bro.only crit is small size (I know people already told you)  but im itching to see these babies up close

Edited by Incubus

aszazeroth

Cosmic Enigma
Cosmic Enigma

Posted: 2004-September-23 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote aszazeroth

OK, found out my post problem, I think at least.... I use the Opera browser on my work-mac.... IE at home XP seems to have the "extra" upload key.... see if I can upload a larger image for you after I have snatched them from my office computer...

[EDIT]
Updated the links above for some larger versions, 1200x675 px . I can render larger ones if you like ;-)
[/EDIT]

Edited by aszazeroth

<< Prev Topic Space Art Gallery - Members Next Topic >>

Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version